Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Fantasy Metal

SIR CHRISTOPHER LEE SINGING SYMPHONIC METAL. THIS IS A THING. 
THE WORLD IS BEAUTIFUL.


            *Ahem* Sorry for that. But as a Metal and LoTR fan, this video makes me so happy.



A bit of History
*"Fantasy metal is a less-popular alias for Epic metal, both tags refer to the metal bands with fantastic or mythological lyrical themes."

As said in the quote, Fantasy/Epic metal is a sub-genre of the popular style of Metal, who's songs and lyrics dabble in magic, fantasy and mythology. It's never been very popular (only among the most hardcore of nerds, whoo!), but has always been well rooted in the underground community with a small fan base and a few record labels. 

Fantasy/Epic Metal originated in the late seventies and eighties in America and Europe. It apparently got its name when Mark Shelton, leader of the band Manilla Road was asked the question of what type of music his band plays, and he replied "Epic metal."


Facts and Criticism
A lot of Fantasy metal bands are neck-deep in Tolkien lore.

Tons of mainstream Metal bands have touched the Fantasy Metal genre at least once (Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Rush...)

Of course, plenty of people think this genre of music is goofy and bad because they're too uncultured after listening to their rap and hip hop to know good music. Haters Gonna Hate! 


Opinion :D
Probably one of my favorite genres of music. I find it interesting that Metal, a music usually thrashy, dark and "hardcore," can be influenced so much by themes that are usually considered "nerdy."

Bibliography 
*Here's where I got the quote: http://www.last.fm/tag/fantasy%20metal

The wiki was in Spanish and the translation was pretty rough. It was really hard to try and fish out information that made sense >.<: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_metal






Whoo!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post, I liked your opinion and when you said that it's usually considered nerdy. I thought it was interesting to listen to' I don't think I've ever heard that song before ( the bloody verdict of verden) but I liked all the different types of instruments they used. good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fact you considered this type of music a bit nerdy because you have a point! i personally do not like this type of music but it is interessting to here other peoples opinions on music and just to see from another personnes perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not exactly the kind of music that I listen to, but I find it so cool to hear all the different styles and instruments used to create these songs. I've heard a few different metal songs and they sometimes have very good messages and lyrics and it's different but I love the idea of others using this kind of music to "get away" or as an escape from reality, as some would say.

    ReplyDelete